The Steward Family From Hethersett

Family History Anne's Pages Peter's Pages Matt's Pages Chris' Pages Photo Gallery Contact Us

Other Links


Matthew's Birth

Tuesday January 10th, 1984

One of those days that will stay in the mind for ever. Simply it saw the birth of our second child and it turned out to be another boy - Matthew David.

Woke up at 2 a.m to find that Anne was having tell-tale pains and obvious contractions. But she didn't seem at all worried and insisted on waiting until 4 a.m.

I made a cup of tea and she took some pain killers. But the pains didn't ease off and it began to look as if it was not a false alarm. So I called Jean Larner and went to pick her up and then set off for the hospital, arriving at approaching 4.30 a.m

It didn't seem at all sure that the labour had started and at one point it looked as if it would be back to the ward. But then things began to happen and, although the whole process was extremely painful, it was really only half as long as Christopher had been.

It was a straightforward birth as well and he popped out at 8.40 a.m weighing in at 7lb 3oz. After the birth we were able to relax a little and eventually a cup of tea and some toast came round.

I stayed to make sure everything was okay and then left at about 10 a.m. I drove to work and parked the car in the front section (naughty naughty). Despite the fact that I had missed almost a night's sleep I didn't feel too tired. So I got down to work after answering numerous questions and getting numerous congratulatory remarks.

Worked through until lunchtime and then went to the canteen.

Then went to Boots to get some toileteries and goods and then to the card shop. Back at work I went through until 3 p.m and then drove to the hospital to see Anne and Matthew. Stayed there until 4.15 p.m and during that time popped to the shops to get Anne some drink and a magazine.

After leaving the hospital I drove back to Hethersett and stopped at Jeans to pick Christopher up. Then it was back home to get tea for myself.

Then played with Christopher for a while and bathed him and put him to bed. During that time I almost fell asleep. But I managed to rally and see the rest of the evening through.

That meant an hour's worth of telephone calls, both local and long distance. That done I got a call from Anne and had a chat. Watched television for a while and then had a bath and went to bed nice and early to read and get some much needed sleep.


It amazes me how matter of fact I seem to have been about this whole event even to the extent of going back to work shortly after the birth.

At the time I worked for Eastern Counties Newspapers in Norwich. Jean Larner who looked after Christopher still lives in the village.

At the time of writing this piece Matthew is eating sandwiches and watching the Simpsons cartoon series on television. He is getting on for 15 years of age and is an absolute delight and a great friend to me.

ęCopyright 1984, 1998 Peter Steward

Return to our main events in my life page

Important Dates

Important dates in the life of our family.

Music Links

An index to all my music including CD and concert reviews and general writing

Our Other Sites

Click here to see details of our other web sites


More photographs of our family over the years

Our Travels

We love travelling. Here you can read about some of the places we have visited.

Our Work

What we do to earn a crust

Our Hobbies

What we enjoy doing in our spare time

Just Friends Walking Group

The walking group Anne and Peter are members of